Welcome to Comstock Equine Hospital! We are so excited to help you with your equine veterinary needs!
- Do I need to make an appointment? Yes, there are times when all the veterinarians are scheduled in the field, so please call to schedule appointments in advance.
- What do I do in an emergency? Call the office immediately (775) 849-0120 during normal business hours, and the receptionists will route the nearest doctor to assist you. After hours, our answering service will page the doctor on call.
- Do you service small animals? No, unfortunately we are not equipped to handle dogs, cats, birds, rodents, or any other non-farm animals.
- Where are you located? We are located approximately 4 miles south of the Mt. Rose intersection (341/431 & 395) on the southwest corner of 395 and Laramie Drive.
- What do I need to travel across state lines? Horses older than 6 months of age will need a current Coggins test, a health certificate, and in most cases a brand inspection.
- What is a Coggins Test? A Coggins test is a blood test for equine infectious anemia (EIA). EIA is a highly infectious reportable viral disease that is not treatable or preventable with a vaccine. Every state has restrictions on horses entering their state. We recommend testing at least 1 week prior to leaving the state in order to complete all the paperwork.
- Do you perform brand inspections? No. Visit State of Nevada Department of Agriculture for a list of brand inspectors in your area.
- What is a Pre-Purchase Exam? A Pre-Purchase exam is recommended when you are buying a new horse. The buyer should make the appointment with the seller’s consent. For more information, visit our Pre-Purchase Examination link in our Services.
- Can I request a particular doctor when I am making an appointment? Absolutely, however in urgent situations we recommend the first available doctor to avoid any delay in proper medical care. Also during vaccination clinics, a particular doctor is assigned to each day and location. If you wish to schedule your vaccination clinic with a particular doctor, you may need to be flexible on the date of your clinic appointment.